We Have Missed You!
The Bookstore, and other select locations reopen to the public Monday, August 3rd. Please see list below of all stores and open dates of operations along with changes to the operations and safety protocols in response to COVID-19 and Protect KU.
Location Operating Hours
Union Locations - (August 3 - August 19)
Hawkshop - Monday-Friday: 7:00am - 5:30pm, Saturday-Sunday: CLOSED
Bookstore and Jayhawk Ink – Monday-Friday: 8:30am - 5:30pm, Saturday-Sunday: CLOSED
Burge Union - (August 3 - August 19)
Hawkshop* - Monday-Friday, 7:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday-Sunday: CLOSED
*The Coffee House will not begin serving until August 17th.
All other campus locations will reopen when classes start on August 24th.
Other Retail Locations
Uniquely KU at The Oread – Reopening Mid-August
Uniquely KU at Wakarusa – Now Open – 10am – 7pm
KU Med – Now Open – Monday – Friday 9am – 4pm
Changes to Operations for the Fall
While the store will be open, students will not be able to come to the store to purchase their textbooks as our textbook area is not conducive to social distancing guidelines. All textbooks must be ordered online at kubookstore.com through Sept 14. Anyone coming into the store during this time to get textbooks, will be referred to the website to place order. The store will be open for purchases of needed supplies, face masks and apparel.
The Bookstore will be offering a free shipping promotion for orders placed August 7th – 19th. Textbooks can be shipped to students’ choice of address before arriving to campus. Please note that orders placed during the Free Shipping Promo may not ship until August 20th if all items are not yet instock.
In-store pickup options for textbooks will be available starting August 18. When orders are ready to be picked up, students will receive an email and need to follow instructions to schedule a time to pick up their books. We will have pickup times Monday through Friday from 9am – 6pm and Saturdays from 10am – 5pm in the Kansas Union.
Online, students still have to opportunity to charge course materials, supplies and technology to their student accounts. All versions of textbooks are available when applicable; new, used, digital, rental.
Things to remember when placing order online:
• While prices for all versions are listed, we cannot guarantee used book availability. If Used is ordered, and there is not inventory, New will be substituted automatically.
• For orders placed during the first week of class, please expect a 48-72 hour turnaround for order to be ready for pickup.
• You will receive to emails after orders have been placed. Once is the confirmation for the order received, the second will be Order has Shipped. The second email will have pick-up instructions. You will not be able to just come to the store to pick-up, please follow the instructions to schedule a time.
• To see full list of required textbooks based on class enrollment, visit Enroll and Pay, go to View my Classes and there is a Blue button that says, Course Materials List. This link will take you to the bookstore website and will show you what textbooks are required and optional based on your class schedule.
• We will begin accepting any returns on August 24th, with a final return date of Friday, September 11th.
• We will start buying books back from previous semesters on Monday, September 14th.
To reduce the inherent risks presented by the virus and the impact of COVID-19 outbreak conditions, all members of the University of Kansas community must follow the health and safety protocols listed below. When present on campus all faculty, staff, students, affiliates, visitors, vendors, and volunteers must:
• Wear a face covering over one’s mouth and nose when in common areas of a building and when within six (6) feet of another individual(s) anywhere on campus.
• Follow the health and safety procedures published by the University and listed in building/ laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
The success of this policy relies on the thoughtfulness, consideration, and cooperation of each individual. All members of the University community share the responsibility of adhering to and enforcing this policy and have the responsibility for bringing it to the attention of visitors. Individuals are encouraged and empowered to respectfully inform others about this policy in an ongoing effort to minimize risks and encourage a culture of respectful cooperation.
All faculty, staff, students, affiliates, visitors, vendors, and volunteers are expected to cooperate and adhere to this policy. Violations of this policy by faculty, staff, affiliates, vendors, and visitors should be reported to Human Resource Management. Violations of this policy by students should be reported to Student Affairs.
Enhanced Cleaning & Safety Measures
Enhanced Cleaning Measures
• Credit card devices and counters wiped down frequently.
• Reduced hours to allow for thorough cleaning.
• We have contactless payment options at most registers throughout our operations.
• All KU Bookstore employees have been provided masks to wear.
• Sneeze guards have been installed at registers.
• Staff will be screened daily for COVID-19 symptoms.
• Hand sanitizer stations will be available throughout bookstore operations.
• Floor markers for waiting lines identifying appropriate social distancing.
• Max Capacities established at stores.
• We will continue to monitor recommendations from the CDC for preventing the spread including accountability protocols for staff.
Summer Operations and Shipping Information
The Bookstore, located in the Kansas Union will not be opening to the public until August. We will continue online operations throughout the summer on a limited basis. Most of the staff will be working Monday through Thursday, limited hours, so please expect shipping delays. Shipping will only occur Monday - Thursday. We will resume curbside pickup from the Kansas Union on Tuesday, May 19. Please be sure to check your shipping confirmation for details.
The KU Med Store will be opening on May 18th with limited hours of Monday through Thursday 10am - 3pm. Please be advised, the building is not open to the public. You must have card access to get into the building. Please call the store directly at (913)588-2548.
Uniquely KU at 6th and Wakarusa will be open for business on May 26th. We will resume normal operating hours of 10am - 7pm. There will be a limit of 5 customers in the store at a time, unless all part of the same family.
With the newest Kansas "Stay at Home" orders, we don't anticipate opening stores until after May 15. We are processing web orders daily to get Regalia out to our graduates and getting everything to students for the Summer Term. We continue to offer free shipping on all textbooks and apparel and gift purchases. Please expect short delays as we are working limited hours daily. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions during this time.
With the cancellation/postponement of ceremonies, if you would like to cancel any existing order, or return purchase please email email@example.com. We will accept returns through the end of April on any purchases made before March 24. We will be shipping out any existing orders mid-April. We will still have these items to purchase throughout the whole summer.
Dear Jayhawk Fans,
As the Coronavirus situation has grown, we are temporarily closing all store locations effective on Tuesday, March 24. The health and safety of our customers and our staff are our top priority.
The KU Bookstore has supported the KU Community since 1946 and we will be back to take care of all of your needs. Please see below some areas and how we will be taking care of things in the interim.
This is uncharted territory for us all, but we are committed to making decisions that are best for our store associates, customers, and communities. We are here for you, and we believe the best way to get through this is together.
Stay healthy and Rock Chalk,
Jen O'Connor, KU Bookstore Director
Returns and Exchanges:
We are asking for customers to please hold on to any returns or exchanges until we re-open for business as we are unable to accept packages at this time. If you would like our customer service team to contact you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your order details. We will have staff limited hours, so please expect delays in a response. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Shipping & Customer Service:
Shipping of online orders will resume once we are re-open for business with the exception of textbooks. If you have any questions about your order, please email us at email@example.com with your order details. Any open orders, may be cancelled at any time. Once we have re-opened, we will get orders out as quickly as possible.
With classes going on-line starting March 24rd and our closure, we will be filling textbook orders. Please expected a little bit of delay as we will have limited staff to fulfill. Please choose to have these orders shipped via UPS Ground. We will be shipping for free.
We are still developing a plan but should have an update next week on options for returning.
Free Digital Course Materials
Some books are available free of charge through some of our vendors/publishers. Please check the following sites to see if your book is available through one of these sites:
VitalSource – https://bookshelf.vitalsource.com
RedShelf – https://www.about.redshelf.com/redshelfresponds
Cengage - https://www.cengage.com/covid-19-support/
For Department Orders for Apple products for FITC and KUMC, please email Jason Coleman at firstname.lastname@example.org for quotes and support. We are still accepting and processing these orders as they are received.